Older Blind/General Independent Living Advocate
ACCESS ALASKA INC. Fairbanks, AK 99701
We strongly encourage persons who experience a disability to apply!
Applications can be found: on our website at http://accessalaska.org/about-us/employment/. Please submit an application, resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax these documents to (907) 248-0639.
Access Alaska is seeking a qualified individual to fill a full-time Older Blind/General Independent Living Advocate position in our Fairbanks office! An ideal candidate will be compassionate, resourceful, and be familiar with community resources. This position will actively assist persons experiencing disabilities to live independently within the community of their choice and to achieve physical, emotional, and economic independence.
Older Blind Advocate:
- Coordinates and manages services to visually impaired persons
- Schedules, conducts & evaluates orientation and mobility training
- Researches and obtains appropriate adaptive equipment/modifications for consumers, and provides use instructions.
- Schedules and conducts independent living skills training including, but not limited to, cooking classes, sewing classes, organizing home setting, etc.; trains in the I. L. Center, the consumers home, or other appropriate setting.
- Provides adjustment counseling coordinates referrals as necessary
- Completes low vision assessments
- Facilitates Braille training
- Publishes and disseminates quarterly newsletter on low vision & blind issues
- Coordinated monthly visually impaired support group
- Involved in community networking with other human service organizations
- Adheres to case documentation system standards
- Writes quarterly and annual reports as assigned by supervisor
- Performs outreach to northern Alaska and rural sites.
- Maintains visually impaired & blind adaptive equipment loan closet
Independent Living Generalist
- To assist persons experiencing a disability to live independently within the community of their choice and to achieve physical, emotional and economic independence.
- Helps consumers develop an Independent Living (IL) Plan that reflects their individual goals andand use the specialized skills or increased capacities needed to implement their IL plan
- needs; structures the IL Plan, completes appropriate documentation, assists consumers to learn
- Help consumers develop independent living plans and complete personal goals.
- Help consumers’ access resources and information from numerous community agencies.
- Educate consumers regarding their rights, how to self-advocate for their needs, and how to
- complete the administrative process and paperwork needed to secure needed services.
- Provides vocational and employment skill building activities to assist consumers in finding and sustaining consistent work.
The above specifications are the minimum functions, duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of an individual filling this position.
- BA/BS in Social Services preferred; Two (2) years of college or equivalent topic-specific training
- O&M Certification preferred if certification not currently held the expectation will be it is obtained within 1 year or less of hire
- Three (3) years in the health and human services field working with directly with clients or
- Must be able to pass a background check and have reliable transportation and current vehicle
Benefits package offered: Medical Dental Vision choice of PPO or H.S.A & FREE Vision, Generous PTO, 10 paid Holidays, 403-B, Life Insurance, Bereavement Leave, 24 hour access to resources for health & wellbeing, Life and AD&D insurance through MetLife, Colonial Supplemental Insurance option for persons working 20 hours
Pay $17.24 – $21.21 DOE
Access Alaska, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Access Alaska, Inc. makes every effort to ensure that in every phase of its recruitment and selection processes equal employment opportunity is provided to all individuals regardless of race, color, genetics, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital status, change in marital status, pregnancy, parenthood, disability, national origin or citizenship, or veteran’s status. Access Alaska, Inc. is an at-will employer.